Heart Screening Specialists
About Healthy Hearts Healthy Lives
Healthy Hearts Healthy Lives facilitates locally arranged cardiac screening clinics for those aged 14-35 at various centres in Ireland and Northern Ireland. It also aims to raise awareness of conditions that can lead to Sudden Death Syndrome (SDS). Our primary focus is on screening people who wish to engage in sporting activities however, our service is available to all who wish to under go screening who are 14 years of age or older.
What is the purpose of cardiac screening?
An individual may have a cardiac abnormality in the absence of any symptoms. Screening with an electrocardiogram (ECG) aims to highlight these abnormalities by identifying conditions such as cardiomyopathies or electrical faults of the heart.
Points to consider
Before deciding whether or not you want to take part in the Healthy Hearts, Healthy Lives cardiac screening programme, you may like to consider some of the benefits and disadvantages, and think about what is important to;
- Undetected heart conditions affect about 1 in 300 people. Our tests are able to detect the majority of cardiac abnormalities most likely to affect young people.
- In the event that a cardiac abnormality is diagnosed you must be aware that this may affect certain mortgage applications, particular types of life insurance and it may also affect some careers.
- Cardiac screening is about probability, and decreasing your risk of suffering a sudden death. The ECG will significantly reduce your risks. This is why European Society of Cardiology and International Olympic Committee guidelines recommend having an ECG before participating in competitive sport.
- After initial screening the doctor may ask for further testing.
- A normal ECG does not predict cardiac health in the long-term and individuals who develop symptoms that cause concern should seek medical advice from their GP.
- After reading this you may decide not to have your heart screened. At Healthy Hearts, Healthy Lives we believe what is most important is that you obtain all the information you need to make an informed decision….
: +353 868601808
: +44 7712264298